NVDC Architects have designed a new Dental Surgery within a former Bank Building in the historic market town of Biggar, Scotland. The site comprised a Grade C-Listed two-storey Victorian terrace circa 1845. The unit had previously been used as a shop, Class 1, so a change of use was also required as part of the planning permission to reinstate the previous Class 2 use. Due to the nature of the project and the buildings heritage status NVDC had to liaise closely with the local council and produce a design statement in favour of our client’s proposal to attain the Listed Building Consent.
A large conservation style roof lantern, a key feature of design, was introduced into the centre of the deep building plan. This allowed natural light to fill the previous dark areas of the plan and give the practice a light and airy feel that historic buildings often lack. Three large surgeries were formed to the rear of the plan, along with a staff room, decontamination room (LDU) and administration office. An open plan, spacious and fully DDA compliant reception and waiting area situated to the front of the plan takes full advantage of the existing traditional shopfront and high street locale.